Saturday, April 21, 2007

J Arrives

J arrived just three days ago. It was wonderful to see her after just over four lonely weeks. She came out of the airport with a single bag. When I asked where the other bags were, she said "we have to go pick them up."
"You just walked past them in the secure area. I hope security lets you back in."

They did. That could never happen in Chicago or Heathrow!

After days of nice weather, J's first three days have either been rainy or cold and windy. We spent more time at the grocery store than I had spent in the previous 4 week but we now have a stocked kitchen. My staple of peanut butter, bread, milk, a few oranges, and, well, that's about it, is now supplemented with meats, eggs, cereals, pasta, vegetables, and spices.

Find a short photo collage of the D&J Weekend on flickr.com.

Here's what J said in her first email back to family (with slight edits for the blog):
"D met me at the airport and we took a cab to the apt. I slept from the afternoon until 12pm today, mostly jet lag. Today, I got up and unpacked and organized the whole apartment to know where everything is and to make room since there are hardly any closets. But there is a little room off the bedroom....a nice study w/desk by a window and nice shelving on the wall. That is where I must put my clothes-on those shelves. It is actually cozy and I like it although it's a little non-traditional.
The apartment is very European and Swedish (at least to me)....tall ceilings, dormer windows that are tall w/big ledges, hardwood floors, decorated in Ikea furniture, lamps, pictures, curtains, and objects. We have 7 rooms that are big...just no closets. But we are here 'til Oct then get to pick a new place.

D and I walked to the grocery store. Imagine walking to King Soopers or Albertsons (although closer) and having to carry what you buy home. You'd buy just what you can carry and go often....and have to dress for all types of weather. Those cloth grocery bags from Whole Foods are coming in handy!

That is my lifestyle now....all walking and carrying....no car.....out in all types of weather. It has rained since I got here. D says it was nice before then and is the first rain since he arrived mid-March. And it is chilly and windy...it is a cold wind. I am glad I packed my silk undershirt and several jackets.....only a few sweaters but I can layer and I have my down jacket and a raincoat w/hood.

Since you walk so much here, shoes are a big deal. You're always walking on concrete and going up and down stairs in all weather. D says many people have walking boots or shoes and leave other shoes at their work. Rain boots are common. And maybe I will need to buy a warmer waterproof coat come winter. Maybe my long wool/cashmere will do?? I will definitely need a hat! But the point is, we will need a variety of weather gear.

Buying groceries was a challenge....products look different when the labels are in Swedish. Many are packaged differently. I need to bring a dictionary to grocery store.

Oh and I forgot to tell you that a teenage boy opened the toilet door on me while in flight as I was sitting on the john. It was my fault since I didn't have it latched well. We both gasped. No dignity left in me. He had to close the door 'cause if you're sitting it is hard to reach lath because as it opens in a odd way. But I could reach the lock once he closed it...er slammed it. Afterwards, I laughed and laughed. What can you do?"

1 comment:

Dick Rochester said...

One of my Swedish coleagues said/wrote this about "shoes."

"Shoes: you have to have 100s of pairs because of the shifting of the seasons. Thick warm ones for the winter, thick warm ones with non-slip sole for the icy days, thick warm rainproof ones for the slushy days, spring shoes, still warm but less than winter ones, summer shoes, high heels, flats, textile, leather you name it... It's HELL!"