Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Door to door

After frantically trying to tie up loose ends with house repairs, packing (especially my bicycle), redirecting mail (check out Remote Control Mail), and paying bills, J took me to the airport. I had to pay $254 for excess baggage. Hope the company picks that up!

Lufthansa has a direct flight from Denver to Frankfurt. The direct flight and the unusually short wait time in Frankfort allowed me the shortest travel time ever.

J and I left the house at 2:30 for a 6:30 flight. That put me at the airport 3 hours early, but I'm extra cautious. I wanted to make sure we could react if they disallowed some of the luggage. J purchased a whole bunch of over-the-counter drugs since they are hard to find in Sweden (and if I did find them I wouldn't recognize the Swedish label). So I feared I'd be arrested or, at least, interrogated as a drug dealer. I guess terrorist don't travel with 40 bottles of ibuprofen - a waste of money if you plan to blow up the plane. So leaving my house to the starting of the jet engines: 4 hours. That gave me time to read half a book and meet two couple from San Diego going to Italy. They planned to follow much the same itinerary D & J did two years ago.

The whole airport screening thing strikes me as un-American. First, you are assumed guilty until proven innocent. Second, there's an encroachment on our privacy rights.

Another thing bothers me, too. The terrorist no longer have to blow themselves up on the plane. They just get in line to be screened. The line folds back and forth like the line to a Disney World attraction. Once in the middle of the line, the terrorist could kill just as many as on a plane and he didn't even have to buy a ticket. I hope you don't pass this blog post to a terrorist who might be willing to wait in line.

The flight to Frankfurt in coach class is torture. In fact, speaking of terrorist, we should just put suspected terrorists in coach class on a trans-Atlantic flight. They'd be confessing like a child long before the final descent, especially if they, say, had a slightly pinched nerve that causes their leg to switch every few seconds for hours after hour. Flight time 8 hours, 20 minutes .


The wait in the Frankfort airport was unusually short: 90 minutes. Yippee. Of course the screening in Frankfurt is as slow as Denver so I began to worry that I might miss my connecting flight.

The flight from Frankfurt to Stockholm three hours (I think). Fortunately, I was able to sleep. I have perfected sleeping in my own lap, folded like a wallet. Sometimes I rest my head on the tray table but got tired of the flight attendant, heartless they can be, waking me up because "the Captain said..."

Arrival at Arlanda, I caught a taxi whose driver spoke no English. That's a definite tip that he wasn't Swedish since all Swedes speak English. There were other clues, too, like skin color and name. Anyway it was fixed price so I wasn't worried about a run-away meter. We got to the apartment office while the snow came down like confetti. Then I discovered the office was not in the apartment complex. So after unloading my 17 tons of baggage, I had to load it on a second taxi. (Actually the taxi driver's were very helpful.) Then we drove to the apartment about 15 minutes away in Norrmalm (the north part of town). It's on Kadettgatan, if you want to find it on a map. The time from exiting the plane to entering my apartment door was two hours.

So the door to door time was 17 hours and 20 minutes, a new (fastest) record for me. Usually this trip takes 21 hours, especially with the United Denver-to-Chicago-to-London-to-Stockholm coach class torture.

Here's some photo's looking out my apartment front and back window. I've managed to find a grocery store and buy my subway, train, and bus pass. I also bought what I thought was milk but it turned out to be a lactose free thing....Note to self: learn Swedish word for milk (mjölk, not låglaktos mellanmjölk).



As I write this, after my first day of work, I realize (again) that Sweden is a magical place if you look beyond the cold and semi-dark winters and the occasional gray skies. Getting to know my Swedish colleagues the first day was like mingling at a party where everyone is an interesting character. This is going to be an adventure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to sleep folded up like that as well, I was not lucky enough to be a back sleeper. Wow, that is great the flight shaved 4 hours off your trip, that is a huge difference even with the address mistake. Are you in the apartment you will be permanently in, or are you going to have to change apartments again?

Also, I thought this was a D&J blog, we are waiting for Mom to post. So Mom, have at it, let us and the world know your plans.

Love,
Lloyd

Dick Rochester said...

We will be in the apartment till October 1. Then we move to an unfurnished apartment somewhere. J will start blogging soon.