Saturday, March 24, 2007

Around My block on a cold dim day, mostly pictures


My apartment is on the second floor (European count the ground floor as zero, it's the third floor by American convention) just above my bicycle in the picture on the left. The next photo (below) is of the back of the building.













The two carts are used by a mail man or maybe a junk-mail man. They were full of sales flyers - I saw no real mail address to a real person. About twice per week I get about half a dozen slipped through my mail slot.

The stroller is one of the rugged winterized types so common in Sweden. Notice the tractor tires.


Of course, there's the kiosk to buy parking tickets, and the "exit" (utfart) from a small parking lot (the bottom photo).




There are plenty of "urban" bikes (as opposed to road bike or mountain bikes or bmx bikes) outside the apartment buildings.



The tiny "Smart" cars always catch my eye. They are perfect for city living and can park anywhere. The reflective disk were in a nearby park, one of many. These are small parks, just enough to have some grass, several benches and four or five shade trees. Usually each park has some piece of outdoor sculpture or art: these disk are an example but the pieces vary tremendously.

Near this park was a pigeon feeder. Stockholmites take walks even in the cold. This day it was approximately 32 degrees Farenheith, zero Celcius. Yet folks were strolling the avenues and streets for fun and to buy stuff, like groceries. Some stopped to watch the pigeons feast.




I haven't taken photo's of the numerous small shops and restaurants around and near my block. That will come in a later post. I also plan more people shots in future posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog / photos, good to see some photos from Sweden. I just noticed that your link to "Uppsala" is linked to my flickr stream. I have some Uppsala photos but mainly other stuff. Your visitors would be disappointed in seeing random stuff instead of Uppsala photos :) -Magnus