Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vätternrundan Weekend - Motala Rocks


The Vätternrund is a prestigious bike ride of 300 kilometers (186 miles). It's part of the Swedish classic of four events, Nordic skiing, biking, running, and swimming. I did only the biking part June 19'th. I started at 8:32 PM and rode through the night. Eleven hours and 54 minutes later I crossed the finish - a very mediocre time. Next time I'll know how cold it can get ... and I'll take better rain gear. I lost an hour trying to warm-up. I found some plastic bags that bread was in at one of the rest stops which I used over my soaking and freezing feet.

Riding through the night worried me. I thought I'd get really sleepy or I'd crash because I wouldn't be able to see the rider in front of me (while drafting at a pretty fast pace). It turned out that I could have gone without lights, but lights were a help (and they are required). I also didn't get sleepy. Watching the three-quarter moon glimmer on Vättern and later the sun rising over it was absolutely stunning.

The rest of the weekend was spent sightseeing all around Motala. A Swedish friend and his wife and young son took me to Motala, I stayed with his parents and they treated me like a king. Great food! They cheered me at the start and at the finish. They drove me around showing me the special places in Motala. Watching the boats climb a hill though the lock system on the Göta canal was fascinating.

Motala is a picturesque town of about 20 thousand. The annual ride they've sponsored since sometime in the sixties now draws almost 17,000 riders. This does not include the shorter rides they sponsor on the previous two weekends. This is a big event for any town and it's especially big for a small town.

No comments: