Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sik, Abborre, Gädda, and Gös


These are the most prevalent fish in Lake Mäleren. Sik are whitefish, abborre are perch, and gädda are pike. gädda is pictured in the first photo, which was taken from Atomeyes' collection.

The grilled sik (whitefish) are from photographer Olidaone.


One interesting thing about Gädda is that they are slow, often just hanging still in the water. Some fishermen have exploited this characteristic by making a lasso, dropping the lasso in front of the fish, and then startling the fish right into the lasso.

In the ten months that I've been here in the Stockholm area, I've scarely seen a single person in the act of fishing and I'm near water a lot. However, this past weekend, in a beautiful break in the otherwise gray and dim weather, I went on a bike ride from Hornstull to Vårby. In Vårby I saw at least ten people fishing from the Målaren shore. There must be a lot of fisherpersons in the area because there's a very popular fishing supply store just a block from me and the one time I went in there to check the price of a legendary Abu-Garcia reel, made in Sweden. The store was crowded with customers and sales seemed brisk.
Brown can be beautiful

No comments: